Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A Poem in Need of a Title

People ‘round here too polite to ask
but I know you wondering.
People ‘round here too polite to stare
but I know you want to see.

When people used to stare,
I could stare them down
People used to ask,
I could tell them off
But your silence

is fuckin with me

I think I’m sposed to play the silence game
but I was never good at that
Mom says, whoever’s quiet longest wins
But the more you stay quiet,
the more I want to scream
and I can’t shut up forever
Waiting for you to get me,
How long       does it take?
‘fore my saying is louder
than your not asking,
‘fore my showing is louder
than your not looking, cuz

I know something you don’t know
I know something you don’t know
I know something you don’t know
(I swear this works with five-year-olds).

I want you to want to know me
I want you to want to see
I know staring is rude but sometimes
not staring is ruder
I’m dangling my truth
you just have to reach for it
I want you to loosen up, have an eyeful.
I want you to take my bait
and bite me.

2 comments:

Dlhoratio said...

Potential Titles: "as i walk by" or "i know something you don't know" or "please stare, it's rude"

Elliot said...

WOAH.

Well, how about something like, "To Be Seen".